Immaculate Sunny Sutro Heights Two Bed, One Bath Home with Oceans Views. This Home Features Well Maintained Mediterranean Revival Architecture Throughout. Amenities Include: Updated Kitchen, Gorgeous Back Yard, Two Car Parking, Big Garage, Laundry Room, and Lots of Storage Space. Many Recent Improvements, Move Right In! Enjoy this Beautiful Home Among San Francisco’s Finest Outdoor Landmarks Such As: Lands End, Lincoln Park Gold Course, Legion of Honor, and the Golden Gate Bridge.
414 43rd Avenue: House History
At the time it was built, in 1925, the house at 414 43rd Avenue sat just south of the Fort Miley military reservation, which had been established in 1893 and was a prominent feature of the otherwise sleepy Outer Richmond neighborhood. In the early 1930s, the current Veterans Administration Hospital was constructed on what had been the Fort's parade ground and many of the Army buildings were demolished. Nevertheless, Fort Miley remained active throughout World War II, gaining new batteries and gun installations during that time, and was then decommissioned in 1948. This returned the surrounding neighborhood to a quieter, more peaceful atmosphere, especially years later when the National Park Service began administering the former military grounds as parkland.
The house at 414 43rd Avenue was built at a time when the Outer Richmond was booming. Blocks and blocks of houses were erected out in “the Avenues” to house San Francisco's growing population, which spread out from the city's core. Many houses were built on a speculative basis, with busy contractors putting up houses both singly and in matching multiples and selling them upon completion to eager buyers.
The builder of 414 43rd Avenue was Gustaf S. Nielsen, a Scandinavian immigrant who was listed in city directories as a painter rather than a builder. At a time when professional licensing was only lightly regulated, it was likely that Nielsen simply picked up a hammer and started building when it was clear money could be made in construction. He completed the house on December 17, 1925 for a total cost of $4,000.
Nielson sold the house immediately upon completing it, but the buyer apparently wished to remain anonymous as records report the sale only “to whom it may concern” and city directories give a “not published” listing for the address. Because of this, the property's early owner/occupants are unknown. In 1940, however, the house was sold and Eugene A. Bresnan and his wife, Ruth, moved in. Eugene worked as an engineer firefighter with the San Francisco Fire Department, possibly stationed at nearby SFFD Fire Station #43, just down the street from the house. For a time, Edward Bresnan, possibly the couple's son, who worked as a warehouseman, also lived at the house. The Bresnans remained at 414 43rd Avenue into the mid-1960s. The following owners, throughout the late 60s and 1970s, were Max C. and Rena H. Ziebur, who were retired. In the 1980s, James Skolnik, a student, was the house's occupant.
The house is designed in the Mediterranean Revival style, which was wildly popular in the 1920s and its stuccoed front facade has a configuration seen throughout San Francisco's western neighborhoods; a bay-windowed front, above a garage, with an elevated entrance on one side. This reflects the cookie-cutter nature of the speculative development that covered the western neighborhoods of San Francisco during the early twentieth century. However, this house doesn't necessarily match its neighbors in plan or facade design, indicating that it was a one-off project. Instead, the house is set apart by a narrower profile, a centered angled bay window, an elevated entrance on one side reached by a long flight of terrazzo steps, and a shouldered arch opening to the recessed porch vestibule. Architectural interest is expressed in finer details like the recessed wall panels at the base of the bay window, diamond-shaped cartouche ornaments on the upper facade, and a cavetto cornice with a pear-drop and rose molding adorning the parapet at the front of the roof.
Families and singles alike seek out the Outer Richmond for its laid back, beach-town quality. Residents find a great outdoor adventure, taking in the relaxing sun, or bundling up for walks on a foggy day.
At the western edge you’ll find Ocean Beach, and to the south Golden Gate Park, both within easy reach. A relatively flat terrain in all directions, biking and hiking are a central means of transport. San Francisco’s Muni is also an option, conveniently delivering residents to the Civic Center and Financial District.
Ocean lovers are in their element in the Outer Richmond. Ocean view walks, forested trails and several beaches, make for magical afternoons. China Beach is a small but breathtaking destination, popular for sunbathing, and one of the only places in the city safe enough for swimming. Baker Beach, and its mile of waterfront, delivers magnificent views of the Marin Headlands and the Golden Gate Bridge. The most famous of the beaches is Ocean Beach, famous for its weekends of kite flying, wake boarding and good-old-fashioned picnics.
Lands End Trail is a favorite journey for hikers, as it meanders along the rocky cliffs over the sea - passing the historic Sutro Baths and the Legion of Honor. And of course there is the majestic Golden Gate Park, with numerous crisscrossing paths, easily accessible. If golfing is your game, there’s the private Lincoln Park Golf Club where you’ll risk missing your putt due to the tremendous ocean views from every hole.
After a memorable day by the sea, you’ll wander down the main drag, Geary Boulevard, which is lined with restaurants of every ethnicity, from Mexican, Russian, French and Italian to an array of establishments serving food from every corner of Asia.
You’ll never be short on cultural opportunities in this neighborhood. Art from around the world is regularly featured at The Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park. The movie art-house Balboa Theatre makes its mainstay second-and third-run Euro and independent flicks. And it takes but a short drive or Muni ride to find the new and old treasures made available at Golden Gate Park’s world-class museums.
Additional Showings by Appointment:
Contact Robert Moffatt